Welcome!

Welcome to my new Blog! It is called "Musical Tales at Hospice" because that is what I do - create a musical "tale" at our local Hospice center, called Solace, by improvising a song on my flute. I visit each patient, "tune" into their spirit and energy, and then let that spirit express itself through my flute. It is THEIR song, coming from THEIR spirit, unique to each patient. I never know what the tune will be...I just allow it to flow.

I have been offering this service for almost 2 years inspired by the passing of a neighbor who enjoyed hospice musicians at the end of his life. Through this service, I have enjoyed bringing comfort, joy, and peace to those precious souls who are close to making their transitions. The purpose of this blog is to share some of these heart warming experiences, so that families and patients can know that this "end of life" can be beautiful and peaceful, and not something to be feared.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holiday musings

What a joy it was to play at Solace over the holidays. Patients would sing along with my flute to Christmas tunes they knew or they would light up just recognizing them. I diverted from my normal "improvisation" somewhat to spread some holidays music joy. This week was fun to wish everyone a Happy New Year and see what melodic tunes they expressed through my flute. While one man wanted "jazz", the tune that his spirit expressed was more soothing and melodic. With that, he just closed his eyes and relaxed...telling me later that "this is just what I needed, not what I thought I wanted". Wisdom for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment